One of the main ways FOML raises money is through our on-going book sales at the branch and our periodic one-day book sales. We hold 2 large annual book sales, in Spring and Fall.
Our next big book sale will be Saturday, May 20, 2017 from 10:30am-3:00pm at the library.
You can help by donating your used books in VERY GOOD or BETTER condition to FOML. Due to our very limited storage and display space, we have to be very selective about what book donations we accept.
Please bear in mind the following guidelines for all donations:
- Books are free of mildew, mold, dirt, stains and water damage.
- Spines are in good shape.
- Books have intact covers, all their pages, and the binding is good.
- Media sets (CDs and DVDs) are complete and have the original case art.
- Preferably no more than 3 bags or boxes donated per day except by prior arrangement.
Items that sell the best at our sales:
- Fiction and non-fiction hardcover books and trade paperbacks published within
the past 5 years.
- Classics, for example books on the top 100 lists on sites such as
- Children’s books, especially award winners; unused activity books.
- Mass market paperback books – fiction and non-fiction published within the past
5 years, including those by popular writers, and classics.
- Recent books on CDs, and DVDs & Blu-Ray discs, video games.
- Antiquarian, rare and collectible books. Note: Books published by magazines
are NOT included in this category (for example, Readers Digest Condensed
books and Time-Life books).
Other items accepted by the Friends of Montclair Library, often for shipment to Better World Books (BWB)*:
- Fiction and non-fiction hardcover and trade paperbacks with publication dates
older than 5 years ago, and older mass market paperbacks.
- Books on CD, DVDs & Blu-Ray discs, video games older than 5 years.
- Foreign language books (Western script only).
- Recent (within the last 5 years) reference materials such as travel guides,
dictionaries and thesauri. Note: NO encyclopedias, please.
- College textbooks published within the past 10 years.
*Note: BWB is a good place to purchase older used books. FOML receives income for the library from the books it sends to BWB.
What to do with things FOML can’t use
If your materials don’t meet the above requirements, please donate them to another organization which can use them, or recycle them if they’re too far gone. (I know, we all love books and it’s hard to admit, but sometimes they’ve lived out their lifecycle and you have to let them go. It’s okay.) The Bay Area has a wealth of great re-use and recycling opportunities, including the Exchange Zone at the El Cerrito Recycling Center, the East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse, and local thrift shops. Please see each organization’s website for details about what they can and can’t accept. For more donation guidelines and ideas for places to donate materials, see our handy Donation Guidelines PDF. Or try searching RecycleWhere.org for even more places you can donate or recycle materials.
Where/when to drop off books
You may leave donations with library staff during regular library hours. You can ask for a tax receipt. The Friends and the library cannot be responsible for the appraisal or valuation of gifts. PLEASE don’t leave things outside; it’s messy and makes more work for the library staff and volunteers.
If you have any questions at all about donating books, please email us. It’s best to ask first if you’re not sure about something, to save yourself time and trouble.
Thanks! We couldn’t do what we do without your generous donations and support.